Newtown Artesian Water Company (NAWC) is a public utility regulated by
the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission, the PA. Department of
Environmental Protection and the Environmental Protection Agency. NAWC
provides water service to customers in Newtown Borough, Newtown
Township, and the northern portion of Middletown Township in Bucks
County, Pennsylvania. The NAWC provides water service within a fully
integrated, three-pressure zone distribution system: the low pressure
service zone, the high pressure service zone and the Durham
Road pressure zone.
are a total of five wells supplying the NAWC system. In addition the company maintains two interconnections for the purchase of water. The first is with the Bucks County Water and Sewer Authority (BCWSA). This water originates in the Delaware River and is treated at the Forest Park Water Treatment Plant in Chalfont. This interconnect is capable of supplying 4.5 million gallons per day and accounts for approximately 45% of the total supply to NAWC. The second interconnection is with the Pennsylvania American Water Company (PAWC) Yardley District. This water originates in the Delaware River and is treated at the PAWC treatment plant in Yardley. This interconnect is capable of supplying 0.750 million gallons per day and accounts for approximately 10% of the total supply to NAWC.
Newtown Artesian Water Company (NAWC) was incorporated in 1888 by a
group of local citizens. The Company started out with two wells in 1888.
Between 1965 and 1975, the Water Company, entered into a period of
relatively rapid growth. By late 1973, the Company has received
inquiries from a number of developers concerning the availability of
water service to meet the needs of many proposed residential housing
developments. The Company, through the incorporation of its wholly owned
subsidiary, Indian Rock Water Company, immediately took the necessary
steps to assure that water service would be available for the new
developments. Indian Rock Water Company was merged back into Newtown
Artesian Water Company on April 2, 1992.