The Newtown Artesian Water Company (NAWC) is a public utility regulated by the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission, the PA. Department of Environmental Protection and the Environmental Protection Agency.
NAWC provides water service to customers in Newtown Borough, Newtown Township, and the Northern portion of Middletown Township in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. The NAWC provides water service within a fully integrated, three-pressure zone distribution system: the low-pressure service zone, the high pressure service zone and the Durham Road pressure zone.
There are a total of five wells supplying the NAWC system. In addition, the company maintains two interconnections for the purchase of water. The first is with the Bucks County Water and Sewer Authority (BCWSA). This water originates in the Delaware River and is treated at the Forest Park Water Treatment Plant in Chalfont.
This interconnect is capable of supplying 4.5 million gallons per day and accounts for approximately 45% of the total supply to NAWC. The second interconnection is with the Pennsylvania American Water Company (PAWC) Yardley District. This water originates in the Delaware River and is treated at the PAWC treatment plant in Yardley. This interconnect is capable of supplying 0.750 million gallons per day and accounts for approximately 10% of the total supply to NAWC.
The Newtown Artesian Water Company (NAWC) was incorporated in 1888 by a group of local citizens. The Company started out with two wells in 1888. Between 1965 and 1975, the Water Company entered a period of relatively rapid growth. By late 1973, the Company has received inquiries from a number of developers concerning the availability of water service to meet the needs of many proposed residential housing developments. The Company, through the incorporation of its wholly owned subsidiary, Indian Rock Water Company, immediately took the necessary steps to assure that water service would be available for the new developments. Indian Rock Water Company was merged back into Newtown Artesian Water Company on April 2, 1992.